“Community Forum on Teen and Young Adult Mental Health”
- Tampa Bay Foundation for Mental Health
- BoardPrep Recovery Center®
- Rogers Behavioral Health
The first Community Forum on Young Adult & Teen Mental Health brings together parents, mental health experts, educators and other professionals to raise awareness of the growing challenges facing young people in our community. Mounting stress and constant peer pressure through social media can lead to clinical depression and anxiety in emerging adults. Gateways to overdose or addiction are more prevalent and accessible than ever before. Vapor, spice, designer drugs, sugary alcoholic drinks and analog drugs (easily available through the internet) create a perfect storm for young people to get into serious problems quickly. When young people struggle with anxiety, depression or drug/alcohol use, normal emotional development slows or even stops. Anxiety and depression can take hold when coping skills remain under-developed.
Excellent evaluation, prevention, early intervention and treatment services are available for young adults and teens in the Tampa Bay Area. However, access can be a mystery to parents, as well as referring professionals. The first Community Forum on Young Adult & Teen Mental Health is an opportunity for attendees to gain valuable knowledge and network with like-minded parents and professionals to improve access to services and make a positive impact on the mental health of the emerging adults in our community.
- 5:30 PM Reception with refreshments and appetizers
- 6:00 PM Welcome and Opening Remarks
- 6:15 PM Eric Storch Ph.D.: “OCD, anxiety and other disorders facing teens and young adults – proper evaluation and treatment.”
- 6:45 PM Jamie Fernandez M.D.: “Integrated treatment for Young Adults and Teens facing Mental Health and Substance Abuse Challenges”
- 7:15 PM Panel Discussion/Audience Q & A: Judge Robert A. Bauman of Hillsborough Juvenile Court joins the presenters for further discussion of the issues and Q&A
- 8:00 PM Close
- Seating is limited and attendees must pre-register at com/TYCevent
- Appetizers served at 5:30 PM – Soft drinks, coffee and tea station (no alcohol service)
- Professionals who wish to display brochures, business cards or handouts on the resource table, please submit an image for pre-approval to [email protected]