With addiction issues ravaging the country, treatment programs are essential to aid people in the recovery process. The 12 step program is one that many people find helpful as they begin their journey to healing from substance abuse. Contact our team today at 866.796.4720 to learn more about this addiction treatment option.
What Is a 12 Step Program?
When most people think of the 12 Step Program, they usually think of Alcoholics Anonymous. When the program was first started in 1935 by Bill Wilson and Dr. Robert Holbrook Smith, it was initially was for those with alcohol use disorder.
Now, after decades of operating, the 12 step program has evolved and been adopted by hundreds of other self-help groups. It can be structured to fit any addiction issue because its foundational principles serve to help those struggling with addiction.
The 12 Step Program has at its roots twelve guiding principles, and although the wording of the original 12 steps has changed over the years in some cases, the intent remains the same. The principles are as follows:
- Recognize your powerlessness over your addiction.
- Look to a Higher Power as a helper for recovery.
- Be sincere in your desire to stop using the substance.
- Submit the addiction into the hands of the Higher Power, knowing that you are powerless to do this on your own.
- Participate in introspection during the 12 step program and take time to think about past behavior and actions, then discuss it in a group or individual therapy session.
- Be responsible for your decisions and behavior by admitting any wrongdoing and making amends as needed.
As people progress through the 12 step program, they will take more charge of their behavior and grow in self-confidence.
Benefits Of 12 Step Programs
When participating in a 12 step program, it may seem challenging at first. It can put some people out of their comfort zone, especially if they are introverts or more reserved. However, this program can often lead to a breakthrough in healing. Some of the benefits of this type of program include:
- Providing an opportunity for strong connections with others in the group, giving them a sense of camaraderie
- Giving you the perspective of others who are in similar situations
- Relieving the stress and burden of the situation by putting things in the hands of a Higher Power
- Discovering the root of the addiction behavior through close behavior analysis and group feedback
- Finding healing with family members through making amends
Get Started with a 12-Step Program at BoardPrep Recovery Center
Join a 12 step program and begin the healing journey today by getting in touch with BoardPrep Recovery Center. At BoardPrep Recovery Center, our trained professionals will guide patients through therapy and detox from whatever substance they are battling. Our comprehensive treatment programs are evidence-based and will put each person on the path to sobriety. We have several types of treatment programs designed to accommodate differing needs. Whether the patient needs residential addiction treatment or outpatient treatment, our team can help.
Once our team has completed the admissions process and determine which treatment program suits the situation, a certified therapist will customize a therapy plan to identify the core issues of the addiction. Aside from the 12 step program, some of the other therapies that patients may participate in include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Family therapy program
- Holistic therapy treatment
- TMS therapy for addiction
With the compassionate staff by your side, people can discover healing at BoardPrep Recovery Center.