Ever been mesmerized when looking at something? Pre-occupied with hunger or thirst, unable to focus on anything else, or stuck in your thoughts about the loss of love? Addiction to alcohol and other drugs is like that. It hijacks the brain, making it very difficult to focus on anything else. It’s vital to learn how addiction hijacks the brain so that you can learn how to override its effects. Once you learn about your triggers and challenges, you may be able to overcome addiction successfully.
Put a stop to addiction hijacking the brain with drug and alcohol rehab programs in Tampa, FL. At BoardPrep Recovery Center®, we strive to help people understand how addiction has affected their minds and bodies. We then can provide expert treatment to help reverse these effects. To learn how our outpatient rehab for adults can help you, please reach out to the team at BoardPrep Recovery Center® today at 866.796.4720.
Addiction Hijacks the Brain
When someone uses drugs or alcohol heavily, their use can begin to rewire the brain. Specifically, the reward center of the brain cannot be satisfied with anything less than using the drug. Think of it this way, eating a meal or being with someone you love feels good, right? Imagine that good feeling for a moment. Now multiply it times 10…now times 100. Imagine how pleasurable that would feel. That’s what using drugs or drinking can feel like in a person suffering from addiction. The pursuit of that pleasure becomes all-consuming. Notice the difference in pleasure-seeking after substance use in the diagram below.
Notice certain connections become supercharged with drugs and alcohol, while the connection between judgment and drive becomes much weaker.
The reasonable part of the brain (executive) is overpowered by the base drive for pleasure (mid-brain). As addiction takes hold, the thinking part of the brain begins to serve the drive for the super-pleasure provided by the substance. The skills of rationalizing, justifying, and excuse-making are developed and perfected. You can reverse the effects of addiction by contacting BoardPrep Recovery for treatment today.
Challenge of Stopping Addiction
Trying to quit after addiction hijacks the brain feels like being deprived of food or ending a relationship. Most people relapse since addiction is a chronic disease. The pursuit of super-pleasure is all-consuming.
The brain has changed. But with the right treatment and follow-up, normal brain function can be restored. With rigorous treatment, diligent follow-up, and monitoring, lasting recovery is possible.
Start your recovery with a medical detox program in Florida that provides a safe, comfortable, and trigger-free setting.
Benefits of Seeking Addiction Treatment at BoardPrep Recovery Center®
BoardPrep Recovery Center® tailors treatment plans to the individual, restoring the brain function necessary for lifelong sobriety. Some benefits of our addiction treatment programs in Tampa include:
- BoardPrep is private and exclusive
- Affordable and engaging
- Career services for young adults
- Better long-term recovery rates using successful physician health model
What Treatment Programs Are Available?
Addiction treatment programs tailored to the individual promote mental and physical healing from addiction. We address the pleasure-seeking, addiction hijack of the brain for a range of substances in the following programs:
- Alcohol addiction treatment in Seminole
- Heroin rehab program in FL
- Cocaine addiction treatment
- Opioid and opiate rehab in Tampa
- Meth addiction rehab program
Principles of Effective Addiction Treatment
Effective treatment to stop addiction hijacking the brain mirrors the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) principles of effective treatment. BoardPrep treatment principles that mirror all 13 NIDA best practice principles and more include:
- We have a comprehensive, inter-disciplinary team-based clinical assessment process. Addiction evaluation options in FL include an office visit or a multi-day evaluation.
- We provide full continuum-of-care directly or through a network
- Participants recognize and address the interplay of substance use with disorders of attention, mood, sleep, pain, anxiety, and personality.
- Patients can recognize and address family and environmental risk factors
- A structured toxicology drug and alcohol monitoring system is deployed upon admission.
- We have an-site physician and addiction psychiatrist.
- We offer integrated psychological and neuropsychological services.
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation is available through the consulting psychiatrist.
- Due to the Marchman Act, we can accept involuntary treatment referrals.
- Varying levels of care at the addiction treatment center in Tampa are utilized to facilitate adequate duration in the treatment process.
- Toxicology and biomarker test results are available for support and incentive. Positive tests result in modification of the treatment plan, not punishment.
- Monitor and promote improvements in functioning, career, school, family, coping, and life skills, not just abstinence from drugs.
- We promote two-year recovery support and monitoring contracts to all BoardPrep participants.
- BoardPrep is within a 45-minute driving distance for 4.2 million people in the Tampa Bay area.
- Recovery residences in Florida are available when needed and for long-distance commuters.
- We have a small patient cohort and frequent expert team meetings on each case.
- Ambulatory detoxification is available, as well as inpatient treatment at a partner facility if necessary.
Seek Treatment at BoardPrep Recovery Center®
At BoardPrep Recovery Center®, we help our clients understand how addiction hijacks the brain. We offer a range of therapeutic programs to help our clients, including:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- TMS therapy
- Family therapy
- Holistic therapy
Don’t wait another day to seek treatment. Call 866.796.4720 for an available licensed clinician to talk with even on weekends and evenings.